Friday, July 01, 2005

Thought the week would never end!

I'm still at work. It's 7:30pm (despite what the Greenwich Mean Time clock at the bottom of this post will say) and I'm shattered.

So much stuff went on this week. Quite apart from being on my own in the Ouch office I was inundated with Live 8 calls from various sources and also dealing with all the huge amount of emails we received off the back of my popbitch incident. Oh and I'm distressed that my upstairs neighbour is going to pounce on e when I get home. She is so aggressive for no reason, the kind of person who never listens but just talks. Stressing me out big time.

But back to this Popbitch thing. I just didn't know what to think when it was pointed out to me yesterday morning. "Damon, someone has written about us on popbitch". What? It's hideously intrusive. It was like tearing down all privacy and also having your self esteem smashed to pieces too.

The thing that really pisses me off now is that it's my favourite pub in the whole of London. I love it! But I'm going to feel funny about going back there now. Will that guy or his mates be there watching?

I feel a bit bad though. I've stopped publishing the comments abou thim even though they are still rolling in. He sounds really remorseful and it's good to learn lessons, innit.

Incidentally I saw his email address. It's entirely possible this man holds a position of social responsibility. I think his employers would be distressed to know he'd written such things. Don't ask me though because I'm not going to tell anyone where he works. As far as I'm concerned he's done really well and I'm kinda impressed with him for owning up like he did. Well done Hawkus.

7 comments:

James Medhurst said...

I found the whole thing shocking but also, I have to admit, I thought it was very funny. It seems that Hawkus got the comeuppance that is due to quite a lot of other people as well. Still, I do think that it does us good for us media types to have our privacy invaded once in a while, just so we know what it is like.

You should definitely meet him for a drink and then you will be much less worried about him watching you in the pub.

Katie said...

Hi Damon, Don't worry about what Hawkus thinks, You go back to the pub and have a really good time, drink and be meery. The comments Hawkus made were hurtful and not politically correct.

He should have been made to eat his words!
Sonds like you have had a busy week at Ouch, you deserve to relax after it, have a good weekend!

Katie said...

Hi Damon, I am a friend of Katies, and I have just read your article on the Hawkus incident, i cannot believe what I have read, how can "Normal" people have such an enclosed attitude. I would be proud of who you are, no matter what anybody says, and if I ever come across you, drink's are on me!!!

Katie said...

The top comment is from my friend Chris by the way, sorry if you thought it was mine but Chris doesn't have a blogger account like us. He also wants to meet for a drink with you and I, think about it and tell me! What do you reckon?

Nicola said...

I noticed a couple of things about the comments on the editorial

1. Some referred to Hawkus as 'webmong' :-)

2. He asked if you 'met in a club' I hope he means as in nightclub, loud music booze shirts with blue lines on sweat bad aftershave vomity toilets club...but i doubt it

what kind of club would that be, seriously?

hope you've sorted this out

Damon said...

yes, the 'webmong' comment really didn't fit with what she was saying did it. That's why I left it in ... just to show there's an awful amount of confusion about disability. I wonder if she even knows that mong is offensive?

Club - I assume he meant some kind of mutually supportive daycare centre. Didn't you?

Hey ho ;)

Still scared to go back to that pub. But happily I don't fear fear ... or something.

The Goldfish said...

Could have been worse, could have asked if you'd all met in a laboratory...

I do think you have been immensely gracious and however uncomfortable you initially feel, you owe it to yourself to return to that pub, preferably wearing a t-shirt that says "Hawkus is my (pop) bitch"

Or perhaps not...