Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble

Wow! Got to recommend this band to you. I heard them on Gilles Peterson Worldwide show on FM4 in Vienna while I was there this week. Specifically he played a track called Jupiter, I think. Wow.

The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble are exactly what they say ... brass with a kind of hip hop beat. Talk about amazing! No synthesizers or electronic sounds but totally fresh and vibrant; classic and modern. An amazing fusion from the soul!

Check out Hypnotic Brass Ensemble on YouTube.

I've got to find their album somehow! My initial Googling tells me they're from Chicago. I need that music now ... I'm off to buy it no matter how.

Have downloaded one of Gilles Peterson's Podcasts too ... first time I've really taken a lot of notice of the DJ - who also has a show on Radio One - he certainly has an ear for quality ... an interesting kind of classicness.

[update] Here's a link to the track I like Jupiter. You need to hear it in its entirity really because, at length, it is hypnotic. This clip is from somewhere near the end when some vocals kick in though I prefer just the brassy music. Interested to hear what others think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NYC - I was at the 23rd street station and there they were, 4 trumpets, 2 trombones, 1 tuba and a drummer. They were playing for the PM rush hour crowd underground and they were rocking!!!
I had to buy their 1st CD. For $10 it's worth seeing and listening to this band.
You can write to them at:
hypnoticinfo@hotmail.com