Monday, May 08, 2006

Monday Lottery

Just played the new Monday lottery.

The idea that it's fairer goes rather out of the window when you discover you have to gamble 5 quid to win up to a million. But more than that, you have to choose to play five lines all the same in order to win a million.

Each week there are two draws.

• Draw 1 could win you up to 100,000 pounds.

• Draw 2 could win you up to 200,000 pounds.

You can choose to play 5 lines, each line goes to a different charity. So that means you can pick and choose who you donate to this week - the charities are different each week with 70 in circulation (Born Free Foundation, RNID, Shelter and two that I've forgotten this week)

So if you play a pound for each charity (5 x 1 pound = 5 pounds) and then choose the same numbers in each of those 5 lines then in draw 2 you could win 5 x 200,0000 = 1 million quid.

There are lesser prizes for 5, 4 and 3 just like the regular old Lottery.

If you don't win a penny though, you are put into the losers draw where you could win 500 quid a month for a year!

So, basically, if you spend one quid you could win up to 200,000 quid. No more than that. Interestingly though I did find myself wondering whether I wanted to play all five because they weren't my favourite charities. I can imagine other people picking and choosing how much they play based on the chosen charities in a given week. So being able to choose who you donate to in this way is kinda nice.

I'll tell you how I get on tomorrow. I know it's crap and yes I know it's a tax on the stupid.

Have you seen the story about the housemates for the Big Brother house which starts next Thursday 18 May? (a Thursday?, you can't have a BB party on a Thursday) Look at Digital Spy for the latest BB7 gossip.

3 comments:

Katie said...

That lottery sounds good Damon, but if I won some money on it, I would keep half and give the rest to the charities mentioned!

I clicked on the link you gave to show who they thought would be this year's housemates in the Big Brother house.

Personally I think this year will be a bit mad myself and am in two minds of watching it or not.

I also think that the hype of finding golden tickets in KitKats to be in with a chance of appearing on the show is a big con, because of people being greedy, and some people will do anything to get them, and this world can be like that.

I do think it will be funny if disabled people get a ticket like Lady B said they might and that would mean that they would have to change certain things to allow for access in the house and show.

I didn't get the wrong end of the stick though as she put it on her blog, I understood her post perfectly.

BloggingMone said...

Good luck!
But at least you know where the money goes...

Radio said...

How many numbers are you choosing out of? assuming its 49 like the normal lottery, the chance of getting 5 is 1 in 1.9 million, which is a lot higher than the chance of getting the 6 normally required (1 in 14 million). this means winning the monday lottery is more probable than being run over or struck by lightning, whereas winning the conventional lottery is less likely than either of these things!