Sunday, March 13, 2005

mercury rev in Hammersmith, London.

Just a quick one. Went to see Mercury Rev last night at the Hammersmith Apollo. They were fantastic. And as fans always say, yes, like a religious experience in a way. Something about their music makes you feel as if your soul is being probed and lifted as they play. This makes me sound like a sappy freak but trust me I'm one of the world's biggest cynics.

They got right to the end without playing Goddess on a Highway. Happily it was the third of their 4 encore tracks. What a band. What a gig. I have a blindspot for the names of Mercury Rev tracks so I can only say they played that fantastic feelgood etherial awesome track from their last album to end ... and they ended on a massive wall of sound holding the last note for 30 seconds.

In the middle the lead singer, Jonathan Donahue, started preaching to the audience. I can't quite remember what it was about but it had something to do with being happy in life and not bowing to the music industry. The vast majority of the audience were doting on every word but one or two people heckled him. Jonathan retorted by saying "it seems like we've got some people in this evening who are part of the industry". I wouldn't quote me on this but it's approaching what he said ... and the audience were on his side.

great gig ... the supporting band Duke Spirit was rather fabulous too.

No comments: